HALL OF FAME
Name: John J. Meagher
Year Inducted: 1976
Category: Friends of Basketball
John J. Meagher happened to walk into the Elgin St. Edward gym at the half time of a game in 1946 and was asked to take over as time keeper. He did and did not relinquish the job for over 30 years. When John started timing it was a different game than today. He used two stop watches—one for running time, and one for time outs; a horn was used for substitutions; cards were flipped to show remaining minutes; the referee was notified two minutes before the end of each half; a whistle was used for the end of each quarter, half, game. In the first 29 years of service to the school, John missed only 5 games. His wife Margaret was seated just behind him for all of these years.